Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Merry Christmas to All!

As the thunder rumbles and the rain pours down here in the Valley of the Sun, I think of my many wonderful friends in the north hunkering down for another blast of wind and snow. I do understand and, though I have no regrets about not enduring it with you, I send lots of sympathetic thoughts in your direction.

Meanwhile, here in the valley, my massive flock of doves continue to enjoy my grass seed, now even more as they happily peck out the little seedlings that have, against all odds, poked their way out of the ground. How do I know? Because there are these little beak sized holes in many places. Mr. Hawk drops by now and then, which I know because I hear a frantic flutter of wings and an occasional thump on the window as the doves escape very quickly from the threat. Eventually, however, the doves return having out waited Mr. Hawk. And the yard is greening up over in the area where the weeds have always had a pretty good root system in place.

We have had nearly a year of a new direction in this country. Many of us are disappointed in some of the compromises and accommodations that have been made. I, personally, am quite fed up with the negativism and the constant attacks on the party and the officials that the majority of our voters elected. Yet, I think we are short sighted - even I - in not remembering with gratitude where we were at the beginning of this year, and seeing honestly the progress that has been made. We expected miracles and we have seen a few. The miracles we have seen are not as extraordinary as we had hoped, but they have been miracles nevertheless.

President Obama is moving our country and in some ways, the world also, in a more positive direction. He leads us with patience and commitment and with thoughtful consideration of all opinions and options. I for one continue to trust his instincts and will continue to pray and hope. I expect a great Christmas without snow and a New Year of growing progress towards peace and prosperity. Ok - I'll admit that I've always been a little like Pollyanna, but there you have it.

May the peace and blessings of Christmas be with you all now and for the coming year and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!
    We haven't seen the snow yet - but it is supposed to be here tonight.
    Take care and see you in 2010!

    ReplyDelete