Thursday, November 5, 2009

Group that Goes on Outings

Our last outing of the season to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts to see the Louvre Exhibit to get insight as to what makes a masterpiece. Deciding what is a masterpiece is an occupation for which I will never have any skill, but I did try to learn something yesterday. Those who make this determination have years of experience with art, which directs their judgments. This experience is supplemented by carbon dating and technology that places the item in time and place. I rely on the judgment of experts.

I am of the belief, however, that just because the art is a masterpiece does not mean I have to like it. I can be impressed, or not, and like it, or not. Its merit is not determined by my opinion. But you already knew that, didn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment