Friday, April 24, 2009

The green, green grass of home

"Yes, they'll all come to meet me, arms reaching, smiling sweetly.
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home." This refrain has been haunting me for several days, as I plan my getaway from the hot, hot sands of Phoenix. Not, of course, that I don't love Phoenix in the winter. But, it's time to go home.

Mornings here are beginning earlier and earlier, as I think my body is crying out to be back on Central Daylight time. Here we are two hours earlier, as Arizona is the only state in the U.S. that doesn't go on daylight savings' time. They have some cockamamie theory that they want early sunsets so that they can cool off in the evenings surrounded by the hot, hot sands of Arizona. What they're missing in my opinion are the cool, cool mornings and the luscious rays of rising sun which, by virtue of my early waking, I can enjoy in peace around 5:30.

I catch up on the news while covered in Boston terriers, then enjoy my fruit and yogurt with my mealtime partner, Lily, who sits on the chair opposite me, or on the window sill beside the table, watching me eat and listening to my insightful observations on the day. At home this will change, as the seat across from my breakfast table is bar stool height, too high for Lily.

Then there are the morning walks, which, should I get distracted by my Facebook reviews and daily cryptogram, my faithful Yo will remind me about in her own rude and insistent manner. Three walks, total about two miles, take about an hour. I look forward to these walks on the parkway, where the dogs can run from tree to tree, romping through the green, green grass etc.

At home I get the news of the Twins, which I miss here. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to appreciate the Diamondbacks, but, really, how can one get excited about a team named after snakes?

By next week at this time, I shall be back in green grass country and will have home well within my sights. I don't expect they'll all be out to meet me, arms reaching, smiling sweetly, but I won't need that. Home reaches out and makes me smile sweetly - and all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment